Monday, January 28, 2008

Moving notes from Yahoo! Mail to Gmail

Now that I'm moving from Yahoo! Mail to Gmail, one thing I will miss is the ability to store simple notes to myself. I have many of them in my Yahoo! Mail account.

I wanted something similar in Gmail. Of course the most obvious place for that would be Google Docs, but I think it's overkill. Creating blog posts and keeping them private would also work, but I don't need the visual polution here. Gmail is the app that's open most of the time, so I wanted to do it there.

So here's what I did: In Gmail I created a label called "NOTE" and created a filter that labels every message I receive with subject starting with "NOTE:" and archives them immediately (so they "skip" the Inbox). Then I simply sent each of my Yahoo! Mail notes to my Gmail account adding that "NOTE:" prefix to the subject.

Not a perfect solution, but a quick one. Good enough for me (at least for the time being).

No comments: