Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Cheating the do-not-call registry

And the weasel oscar goes to... The Dove Foundation.

Yesterday I got a call from someone saying they were calling on behalf of the Dove Foundation, but the call was actually an advertising campaign for the for-profit company called "Feature Films for Families".

Here's why I'm upset: my number is in the do not call registry. "Feature Films for Families" couldn't lawfully call me, so they contracted the services of a tax-exempt charity to talk to me about them and get my permission to then continue to call me.

Here's how I interpret this: it is (or should be) unlawful for a non-profit to call me if it's just to advertise for a for-profit organization. I will report this to the FTC and I will post this information in the pertinent forums and send it to relevant lawmakers.

After reading the paragraphs above, I decided to search Google for "Dove Foundation Feature Films for Families". I shouldn't be surprised that the first link was this Wikipedia article.

Heh.

Doing some further searching I learned that they actually use a computer program to talk to you (there's a human operator selecting what the voice will say). You would think I'd admire the use of technology. I don't. When they call they expect to talk to a human being and when I answer I expect the same. It's outrageous.

Don't you hate self righteous people that think that anything they do is justifiable if it's for (as they see it) a good cause? It's not. No good can come out of offending and manipulating people or finding loopholes in law. Dove Foundation should stop this practice immediately.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You write very well.